210g good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
460g caster sugar, plus 120g to whisk with eggs
280ml hot water
1 shot black coffee (50ml)
70g good-quality cocoa powder
350g plain flour
12g baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 170C. Line cake tin with baking paper and set aside.
2. In a clean bowl, over a saucepan of simmering water, melt butter, chocolate and sugar. Once melted, whisk until combined and you have smooth chocolate sauce.
3. Remove from the heat and whisk in water, coffee and Cointreau and set aside.
4. Allow to cool a little (about 5 minutes). Sift in cocoa, flour and baking powder using a spatula to combine all ingredients. In a separate bowl, with electric mixer, whisk eggs and 120g of extra sugar until pale in colour (about 3-5 minutes).
5. Fold egg and sugar mix into chocolate mix until just combined.
6. Pour cake mix into prepared tin and bake for an hour or until skewer comes out clean.
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool before decorating.
Source and Photo: The West