Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Does Chocolate Taste better warm?

I stumbled across this article by Tiffanie Meador on The Bell Ringer and it got me thinking. Did she really have a point? I've reposted the article below and will let you decide!


Chocolate tastes better warm.

Have you ever been given a piece of chocolate and put it in your pocket only to be remembered several minutes later? Although this small bought of temporary memory loss might be looked upon with regret and disbelief, it can now be known as a pure epiphany of inspiration and I will vouch for your integrity.

From the instant the chocolate morsel touches the inner lining of a pocket of any sort, the transformation of glory and bliss begins. Magic, chimes, glitter, trumpets sound! The combination of 98.6 degrees finely buffered by the right piece of cotton or synthetic nylon creates an atmosphere similar to a caterpillar’s cocoon.

Try it with anything. Mini Hershey bars, Snickers, M&Ms, Lindor Truffles or my personal favorite Cadbury eggs. You too will see the magic; however, the only stipulation is it has to be CHOCOLATE. The recipe simply won’t work without chocolate.

Now there are some items of chocolate that do work better, or shall I say make for a surprising burst of excitement. Take for example your traditional old faithful M&M. A harder outer candy coating helps in not melt in your hands, but to get them started in your pocket only make that initial bite down and explosion of flavor!

Lindor Truffles and Cadbury eggs are the best for this. Allow just enough incubation time in your vest or sweater pocket, and 5 to 8 minutes later, viola!

Now, this theory of mine can absolutely be supported by the fact that cooking anything changes its flavor. Allow me to explain. Heat physically changes the chemical compositions of food, thus changing its flavors as well. Mushrooms, fish, carrots, cheese, all of these things are delicious raw or cold, yet are just as good in a completely different ways when they are heated.

If any of the readers out there have seen the movie Ratatouille, you will agree with Remy the little rat chef and myself the combination of flavors, while endless, do have an individual level of potential, and it is up to us to experiment and find that potential.

I suppose the argument can be made that this process can work for gummy bears and worms alike. I will admit I have given it a whirl with numerous candies including Now & Later, Skittles and Laffy Taffy, but there’s nothing like the ooey gooey texture of a warm chocolate masterpiece as it melts slowly on your palate inviting your taste buds to Waltz and Tango in a moonlit dream.

If you think I’m crazy or have any doubts about what I am writing, please don’t discount me until you have tried it. Put a mini chocolate bar in your pocket for about five minutes, take it out and enjoy a little slice of heaven courtesy of me. You’ll never go back to cold chocolate again.

Article posted by Spencer Samaroo, Managing Director, Moo-Lolly-Bar
The best online chocolate, lolly and confectionery store on the web!

If you like what you have read check out our updates on Facebook and Twitter.

Source: The Bell Ringer


1 comment:

KayB said...

Hmmm I’m going to have to disagree with Tiffany. I love nothing more that rock hard dairy milk chocolate straight from the fridge.. my secret, wash it down with ice cold coke cola. I don’t know why, but the extra sugar from the soft drink just works with the chocolate. But, in saying that, there are some chocolate items that I MUST have warmed, like chocolate or fudge flavoured pop tarts. My boyfriend is addicted to them. Just leave the good old dairy milk alone!