Friday, August 26, 2011

10 year old Chocolate Thief Publically Shamed by Mother

A MOTHER who made her young son sit in public wearing a sign declaring "I am a thief"' yesterday said she didn't want him to make the same mistakes she did.

She said the "tough love" - which both appalled and inspired the nation - was aimed at stopping her son following her footsteps into a life of crime.

The mum said she had tried everything to stop her 10-year-old son stealing, including showing him inside a cell and taking him to court.

But after stealing chocolate bars from a local shop and $5 from his mother's wallet, she forced him to sit in a Townsville park for one hour with the sign reading: "Do not trust me. I will steal from you as I am a thief."

It made national headlines yesterday, with debate split between those understanding the mother's frustration and praising her and others condemning her actions .

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related Coverage

'I tried everything to stop him stealing' Perth Now, 6 hours ago
I tried everything to stop him stealing Courier Mail, 15 hours ago
Mother forces boy into parade of shame The Daily Telegraph, 1 day ago
Boy made to wear 'I'm a thief' sign Herald Sun, 1 day ago
Serial thief is back in court again Courier Mail, 10 Jun 2011

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

The woman, who holds a steady job to provide for three children on her own, said she wished her mum had taken a tough stance: "I have lived a life that most people would not dream of and I am trying to stop my child from going down the same road because, even though I have sorted myself out, it took me 10 years.

"I did the same thing as my son, shoplifting as a teenager, and then it escalated because I didn't have a mum to teach me right from wrong. I wished when I was a child I had my mother do to me what I did and teach me good values."

The mum said her son began stealing at age seven, taking video games and money from teachers' wallets.

She said he received monthly counselling but it had no impact: "I've taken him to the police station to see the cells and how people get charged, we have gone to the court house and sat in front of the judge watching people get sentenced."

The mum said her son, described as active and popular with friends, had "a loving home, lots of attention, lots of games, so there is no reason to be doing what he is doing unless he thinks it is a game".

A large number of people yesterday praised the woman, advocating tougher measures for children. But University of Queensland Parenting and Family Support Centre director Professor Matt Sanders said the "shame and humiliation" approach was unlikely to have the desired effect.

"It can backfire by kids getting resentful and going underground, especially if they are picked on by their peer group," he said.

"This is probably not the way forward. This approach is a quick-fix. It's punitive, highly coercive and is based on trying to shame or embarrass the child into behaving.

"If it doesn't work, what's your back-up? You've already pulled out the big guns."


Article posted by Spencer Samaroo, Managing Director, Moo-Lolly-Bar
The best online chocolate, lolly and confectionery store on the web!

If you like what you have read check out our updates on Facebook and Twitter.

Source and Photo: Daily Telegraph Australia


No comments: